Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ninjas, Cowboys and the Emergence of Team Zero. May 11.

The last 69 miles (plus 3.7 non-PCT miles in and out of town) was
groundbreaking territory as a thru-hiker. I knew I had to start early
in Warner Springs, alone again, in order to catch up to my new group
of friends, who would be leaving town two miles ahead of me on a
different road: Boston and Cubby (two women from Nebraska who have
hiked the Appalachian Trail and the Continental Divide Trail
together), Shane (a 33-year-old software guy from Seattle who quit
his job, stopped shaving, and is taking a year-long respite from the
rat race), Half Ounce (a solo 30-something veteran hiker and
mountaineer) and DD (pronounced "Double D" which stands for Dumbass
Dan--not what you were probably thinking).

I started at the road at 6am and in the early morning light I achieved
a first: like a slinking ninja, I slipped by two tents, filled with
thru-hikers still in restful slumber, a move I will call "ninja
stealthing". At mile 22 (10 hours later!), physically and emotionally
exhausted, I caught the crew of new friends on a break (although in
retrospect, I think that they decided to wait for me).

We camped together and I finally felt comfortable hitting my next
milestone: camping without a tent and laying on a ground cloth only,
known as "cowboy camping." It was cold and breezy at about 5000 ft and
I slept better than any other night so far (this might have nothing to
do with cowboying, but rather the fact that I walked 23.5 miles in 11
hours). Thru-hikers LOVE to cowboy camp--it's light, uncomplicated,
and apparently gives you an unobstructed view of the stars, although I
have never been awake long enough to find out.

The next two days were fast, intense walking, nearly 25 miles a day,
climbing to 8600 ft in San Jacinto Wilderness and then descending
through two hours of snow, traversing and relying on GPS waypoints to
find our way. I would never have made it without them (and I think
they want to rename me "Slippy Feet" due to my innate clumsiness on
snow).

I met this group on a "zero" in Warner Springs and I'm with them again
in Idllywild. We hiked hard and we relax hard. We call ourselves Team
Zero (emblem above), because we know the importance, and readily
accept the expense, of a zero day in town.

Song for this section is Kid Cudi's Pursuit of Happiness: "I'm on the
pursuit of happiness and I know everything that shines ain't always
gonna be gold. I'll be fine once I get it; I'll be good." Onward and
upward in the pursuit of happiness. Next stop: Big Bear City in 87
miles.

5 comments:

  1. Dean Hooper - Silver FoxMay 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM

    Alright! 22, 25, 25 - you are cooking! Zero Day earned. TNX for sharing names/folks in the party. And the 3.7 mile access taken to Idyllwild Village - Sure didn't see a nearby connection to PCT from the maps.

    You finally hit OMG SNOW!

    Hugs, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am enjoying reading your blog, seeing your pix and following allowing via the Nat'l Geo maps. Makes it so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny,super woman!!! You're doing great. Love hearing from you about all your adventures. Glad that you found some companions to hike with you. I still get worried when you are off by herself, even though you have the right stuff inside you to keep walking for Jake. He is so thankful and respects you so much. You are really terific and brave. I found this poem in our newspaper and thought of you. It is by Ethel Fuller, an Oregon Laureate who died in 1965. So here goes: Who Knows a Mountain?

    Who knows a mountain?
    One who has gone
    To worship its beauty in the dawn
    One who has slept on its breast at night;
    One who has measured her strength to its height
    One who has followed its longest trail,
    And laughed in the face of its fiercest gale;
    One who has scaled its peaks and has trod
    its cloud-swept summits
    Alone with God.

    Think it sounds what you are doing...scaling peaks..experiencing alone time...trodding alone a LONG trail...
    Enjoy and remember I am walking with you daily
    Kathleen







    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny!
    YOU ROCK GIRL! The miles just keep adding up. We are so proud of you. I can feel your energy in your writings and love the pictures. How are your feet doing? Take care of those ninja toes as you slither through your next adventure! Jake's therapy at ADAPT was great this week. The trainers worked his upper body and are in the beginning stages of teaching Jake to crawl. He is up on all fours and gaining control of his hips and rear more every day. It is inspiring to watch client videos from Project Walk of people who have already learned to crawl. I do believe Jake will learn to move like that someday. We finally have sunny days here in Dufur. It makes such a difference in my outlook when it is sunny outside! The spring colors and wildflowers paint the hills and fields brilliant greens, yellows and purples. I love spring! Enjoy the colors of the land tomorrow in your hike.
    Love,
    Margaret French

    ReplyDelete
  5. "although I have never been awake long enough to find out."
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete