Monday, May 3, 2010

Men to boys. May 2

Men to boys. May 2
In everyday society people tend to agree that women talk more than
men. Yet, if you put hundreds of men at mile one of a 2650-mile
journey with only one trail to walk on, trust me they will talk. And
talk. And talk. About gear, about all their trail experience, their
ability to find water, read maps, and anything else that gives them an
advantage over the male hiker in front of them.

Hiked about half of today alone so as to avoid the alpha male
showdown. There were about eight swarming around after my 7am
departure from the border. The sun was fierce as we climbed through
the manzanita-covered high desert ridges. I tried to rest my feet and
resist the urge to show up the men, who were acting as though they
were teaching me the ropes. I relaxed and tried not to listen to too
much music. Note to self: never bring along slow, potentially tear-
jerking songs when hiking alone. You lose face to the dudes if they
see you tearing up to Chris Brown. Rihanna makes me feel invincible.
I'll try more of her tomorrow.

I carried 4 liters of water today which was just about right. I picked
up 5 liters at Lake Morena campground about 21
miles north nd cooked a dinner of thai rice noodles and tuna (not my
favorite but the heaviest thing in my food bag). Camped on the
outskirts of the campground with four new friends: Yeti (from Israel),
Jake, John and Shannon (also a guy). The sun is setting after a total
of about 21 miles. Im exhausted and a little lonely. This is going to
be tough. We will be separating the men from the boys very soon.


Follow me this spring at: www.3ptbenders.com!

3 comments:

  1. I love you baby stay strong and know there is a WHOLE group of women back here supporting you thinking of you and sending you good thoughts. You may be alone there but here you are never alone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jenny...you are incredible and so inspiring...love you so much and be safe my friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- like your photo on the border. Don't be lonely, there are many of us thinking about you. I have been looking at my watch every hour and wondering where you are and how you are doing. Be careful and be safe. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete