Friday, May 7, 2010

Feet, Water and Trail Magic. May 7.

I have arrived in Warner Springs, population of ~1200. 109 miles down!
Six toes taped, but nothing that a "zero day" (a no-mileage day spent
resting and eating, usually in town.) can't fix. The last three days
have been true desert walking in the Anza-Borrego Desert--cacti, sand,
lizards and even a rattler that my right foot came within an inch of
stepping on. (The guys in the trail wanted to know how big it was. I
didn't stick around long enough after the rattle to find out.) I made
it through a 44-mile stretch without any natural water source, despite
it being a wet year. Thankfully enough, this was possible through the
kindness of trail angels, people who provide support for thru-hikers,
in this case by leaving water caches throughout the desert at
trailheads and road crossings. Yet, you can never rely on these, as
hikers before you may have exhausted the cache, which can be 50 or
more gallon jugs of water, sometimes only accessible by remote jeep
road AND a hike by a trail angel.

After leaving Scissors Crossing, I was carrying 6.5 L of water up a
13+ mile climb at mid-day on totally exposed steep contours, no shade.
The incredible views made up for the pain my shoulders were feeling,
and I arrived at the next (and thankfully still available) water cache
by 6pm. I camped that night with Musk Oxe (a 27-year-old wilderness
youth therapy guide--think Brat Camp) and the Florida guys (just can't
shake them!) The next day was a solid 18 miles through dry meadows and
sandy outcrops culminating in the gorgeous lunch time spot I had in
the San Jose del Valle (see above).

I made it to Warner Springs yesterday, but my resupply box was no
where to be found. Fortunately, through the kindness of the thru-hiker
network, mega-hiker Warner Springs Monty (off the trail, but trail
angeling currently) heard about my plight and brought me four days of
food to get me to Idllywild! Thanks to everyone who called and spread
the word so quickly. I really love the incredible community of thru-
hikers and angels that make all of this possible.

Now to soak my feet at the mineral hot springs, let my blisters dry
out, wash my socks and do it all over again tomorrow. I hear snow and
colder weather are in my near future.

Song for this section: Sting's "Let your Soul be your Pilot". I
wonder if Sting wrote this song while he, too, was hiking through the
desert without a water report and Eric the Black's sometimes
lackluster PCT Atlas. At least that's how I interpret it....I'll let
my soul do the walking. 69 miles to Idyllwild.

6 comments:

  1. WOW the yellow flowers are beautiful. Wish some hiker would have taken your picture in the middle of the flower garden with your straw hat. It would have been GREAT. I love all the pictures that you share on your blog.
    Sounds like you have hurting feet..take care of them as you have many miles to walk. I still am amazed in your spirit of determination and your special positive attitude. Thank you thank you and be careful.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a delight to be tracking you daily via the PCT "On The Trail.org" National Geographic maps that I found on line. Plus I have Happy Jo's 2002 PCT photos to show the landscape at various mile points. Happy Jo and I have been chatting almost daily. It was enjoyable to talk with several times at Warner Springs on the phone. Well now off on 5/8 and onto the Indian Reservation at mile 112.8
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the update. Your family at home worries about you and thinks of you daily (as you've seen through pictures) We have more to send to you and more to take!!! I'm so proud of you please take care of your feet. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny....the Howell's love to hear you updates! Your pictures are beautiful as well! I am so glad to know you are doing good! You are in our thoughts daily! Sending you a package to The Saufley's...stay strong and we love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny!
    Wow, what a day you have had. I am glad you are finding help from others on the trail.
    Hope your feet and shoulders give you some relief tomorrow. Snow? We too have had snow the last few days here in Dufur in the mornings. It really doesn't stick, but flies all around looking rather out of place for May!
    Jake has a UTI and is trying neurontin for pain. Kind of a low key weekend trying to get bladder issues under control. Always something. Jake's therapy in Beaverton at ADAPT has been going great! We can all see he is getting more strength in his back muscles. Tonight Jake was sitting up on his own and could really sit up straight and lift his hands off the bed, holding himself up straight and not slouched. Also, he can feel when I blow air on his toes and last night he could feel me touching between his toes. I do think his lower extremeties are trying to come alive and also the connection from brain to leg. Thank you for believing in Jake and encouraged so many people to support you on you trek to raise money for him. Thank you to all who have donated to Jenny's Walk. We appreciate every step you take for Jake, Jenny. You are quite a woman and friend. Take care and walk softly.
    Love,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are an animal on the trail! Your laying down some serious miles, got to ditch those flatlander Florida guys. Thats wierd that your supply box did not come in. It seems to be the name of the game with anything involving me haha. All you can do is laugh about it though, just a new challenge right!

    I am doing pretty good and looking forward to a nice day here. Last night I went for a "roll" to the upper part of our property. It was really nice to get outside. There has been 6-8 turkeys around our house and one really nice tom that struts around the hens. Its hard to just watch him but he does put on quite a show. Keep up the hard work!!

    ReplyDelete