Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tough training

I thought it might be useful to talk training while training to cut the boredom down. Right now I am typing on my new and improved iPhone--3GS. I caved for speed. Way faster than the older one. And, sure, something better and faster, but not necessarily cheaper, will come out very soon. I don't care because I'm leaving in 21 days.

So, training. Right now I am on the stairclimber at the gym. Hour #2. Level 13. Sweating like a pig, breaking in my new Adidas Sequence and even wearing the socks I will have on the trail. This is the real foot training, letting my feet get hot and sweaty and figuring out where the blisters will form. I am a little worried about the small twinge in my right toe, the one I broke last summer right before our PCT trip in Oregon. Otherwise shoes feel great. Socks feel fat and cushy, perfect for the hard, dusty LA aqueduct. Eeww.

I have been spending at least one hour per day on the treadmill (3.8mph, 6-7% incline) for my hamstring workout or one hour+ on the stairclimber for my quad workout. Some days--soon three days per week--I walk 4 miles to the gym, do core exercises, weight training for legs, then 4 miles home. All of this is not for cardio but for repetitive movement training...where am I going to hurt after two to three days at 20+ miles/day?

Weekends are for longer outdoor hikes in Forest Park, with backpacks, poles and water. Big climbs for cardio. Plus, this is when we get to see Cupcake, and he and Happy JO critique my readiness for trail. I should have all my gear and food boxes done at the end of this week.

Now I'll get off the climber and go do some balancing on the Bosu ball. That part makes me feel tough because I pretend that I am pummeling my enemies with roundhouse kicks. Who am I kidding? I don't have any enemies..

Next post: what I will be eating for two months and tips on what to send me!

--Sticky ( -871 calories, must replenish with a burger)

No comments:

Post a Comment