Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Food and more gear

I am close to 30 days out from the trip and in the last two weeks I finally got my last few pieces of clothing and sneakers. With little risk of rain, I opted to avoid the extra weight of a rain jacket, and instead purchsed a lightweight windbreaker shell, Houdini. At 4 oz, this should give me enough protection from wind and any light moisture I encounter.

Second, I had a realization last summer on the PCT that I really do not like vests. Determining that my years of fleecy vests were imposed by my thru-hiking husband, and also because I simply fit in better in Portland, I thought carefully about how useful one would be in SoCal. My conclusion was that a full-sleeved down-like jacket might be nice--easy to slip on during cold desert mornings, compact, and super lightweight. While perusing Patagonia for my Houdini, I found the Nano Puff. Ten ounces of yummy warmth, and hot pink to boot.

Cupcake has returned from Austin and has announced his mission to motivate me. Over the last two weeks during our Saturday hikes, we have covered Iphone apps, maps, clothing, food, sewing kits, gaiters, ice axes and food. I am slowly reeling in this collection of thoughts and taking action. Food boxes are getting filled. We are now done with my dinners and breakfasts. Unfortunately, the classic thru-hiking powdered milk, Milkman, is no longer available. Excellent source of creamy fat in a pouch. So, instead I will have to suffer with nonfat dried milk for my breakfasts, add water, a bit of freeze-dried coffee and finally, the gritty, fatty, sweet granola.

I was also fitted for my sneakers at FitRightNW. I will use Adidas Supernova Sequence, one half-size larger, and WIDE. I debated whether to buy two pairs now, for fear that I will hate them 500 miles through, but I think I will be ok.

Things are getting very busy for me as the final month approaches. I hope that this journal will soon be less gear talk and more thoughts. I am sure that it will be.

31 days to MX.

1 comment:

  1. Sticky Fingers, I love your blog! I'm planning on hiking the PCT next year (2014) and it is great to read about the PCT from the perspective of a solo woman hiker. I'm planning to hike solo too, and while I appreciate the boy's blogs, I really like the tone of your writing!

    I had a question about your gear, while I've been reading over your posts to see what you brought, I was wondering if you had a list of your gear somewhere?

    Thanks!
    Kai

    ReplyDelete