Monday, April 19, 2010

Fueling my body...and how you can participate

So people have started to ask me what I will be eating on the trail...
Breakfast:
Cup of granola or other sugary, fatty cereal (that is prohibited in normal, healthy lifestyles)
Spoonful of instant coffee
1/4 cup of dry milk

Snacks:
Various Trader Joe's nuts, trail mixes, dried fruit, fried green beans, snap peas, plaintain chips, rye crisps, and pretzels

Lunch:
If I'm lucky I'll snag some yeasty bread or tortillas, real cheese and nitrite-free meat (probably not feasible in hiker towns like Julian, CA).

More snacks:
Paley Bars, Snickers Bars, Power Bars, just plain bars. ohh, and maybe a pop-tart or two or three, beef jerkey, turkey jerkey (all nitrite free)

Dinner:
Ramen, soba noodles, tuna packets, dried shitaki mushrooms, dried lentil, split pea & potato leek soups, dried miso soup, thai noodles, and once in each box I afford myself a slightly heavier indian meal (like Tasty Bite).

Chocolate-covered espresso beans sprinkled throughout the day to retain my stamina. I love chewing gum or sucking on Life-savers.

I love tortilla chips, coffee, chocolate (but hard to carry in the desert, so I will stuff it in my face immediately if sent to me), dried figs, and whole wheat fig, bluberry or raspberry bars (usually in the bulk aisle at natural food stores).

I hate mint and salmon jerky.

What can you send me? Generally after coming off of the trail, I am looking to have things different from what I have been eating for the last five days. Nutritious, high-quality food is good. Sweets and fatty things are good. I will try to eat 10,000 calories per day in town (and althought it sounds luxurious and pleasurably gluttonous, it is difficult and somewhat disgusting) and attempt to do this via meat, dairy, and lots of veggies and fruits. Plus a few pints of Ben and Jerry's. Maybe a few pints of beer, too.

I will enjoy anything that you send. Would love to receive letters without food, too. Thanks for your support.

--Sticky (12 days to go)

1 comment:

  1. It looks like quite a science to eat on the trail! You would laugh at me if I was hiking with you. Every time I went hiking or hunting I packed pounds of food, for a day. Definetly would not make it on the trail haha.

    Just a few more days, I am excited for you! You have inspired me to work hard the last week. I will be a couple minutes into an exercise and feel like quitting when I remember what your doing. Then I feel like a wimp and keep going. Good luck and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete