Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Great Pancake Challenge - Day 9

I woke up early, all puffy-faced from the heat of the RV Park lawn and bolted to the Seiad Cafe. I sauntered up to the counter and plopped on the stool, ready to take on the five-pound stack of doughy pancakes in less than two hours. If I did it, I'd get them free. I didn't know of any emaciated hikers who had succeeded, but I thought I could handle it.

I looked down the counter at the line-up of Yosemite Sams talking gold prices. They were all eating eggs, bacon and hash browns. I glanced behind me at the table of hikers--"Sags" and "Slim" were chomping on breakfast burritos and omelets. Yogi's guide book warns hikers not to attempt the challenge if they're going to hike that day. Hmmm, I had the huge, hot climb and 15 miles planned. If I ruined my day, I'd never get a zero rest day in Ashland.

Visions of a relaxed jacuzzi tub in Ashland won out. I balked and ordered the short stack -- and I didn't even eat half. :( My burger, fries, salad, milkshake, 3 beers, hot dog, and a bag of gummy worms the day before had caught up with me.

The short stack was buttery golden excellence, and it helped fuel me a full 18 miles that day. Next time I'm in Seiad Valley, population 350, and I've driven there, I'll try the Challenge. This scenario will probably never happen, but I guess I should never say never.

No comments:

Post a Comment