Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Amtrak southbound

On the coast starlight to Dunsmuir, CA...just about another 9 hours to go. I'm lounging to Musak in the top-floor lounge car--lots of MacBooks, free-spirited spontaneous guitar jams, food bloggers, dominoes and ladies with hairy chins. That's Oregon for you.

My starting weight is 121. Base pack weight is 12 lbs (this is with no food or water). I've packed light this year, since Etna, Seiad Valley and Ashland are calling for 0-10% rain for the next few weeks. Yet, the lightweight rain jacket (Mountain Hardwear, compression stretch) and Patagonia regulator zipneck fleece are sitting is PDX ready to be sent if the weather turns. Thanks, Garth! (whose food bag on the AT weighed twice my BPW. :p)

The 2011 thru-hiking "pack" has made it up to Etna, CA. (It's been a tough year, WAY too much snow. Most recorded snow in Washington ever.) We'll hit the stragglers of the pack -- and then crush them. (no, not really, I'm just trying to get the bravado out now instead of using it later against my best interests.)

I'm fearful that I didn't pay enough attention to packing; I'm sure I forgot something. How could my pack be only 12lbs? I almost convinced myself that I didnt need underwear, but came to my senses and packed them in my frantic preparation....right next to my glitter strips (silver band-aids). If I had to choose, I'd take trail bling over underwear.

I cut myself in between my toes this week...who does that? And now I'm worried that it will give me problems as the heat rises and the skin rubbing begins in my Adidas behemoths. The thing I fear most is the hot, dry weather's wrath on my feet. 328 miles in 2.5 weeks is fast if you've not already been hiking from Mexico.

Time for an IPA and some Sponge Bob Popsicles. I heard they sell them in the cafe, and personally I think I need to put some calories under my pack straps.

More from the Mecca of Dunsmuir,
Sticky

2 comments:

  1. nice, hey, 121 lbs.... you need to pack on some chicken wings......... they're good for you...

    enjoy the trip....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I understand why the hike changed from Washington state. Good hiking...Dad

    ReplyDelete