Thursday, March 4, 2010

Starting to feel overwhelmed

It's less than 60 days before I leave and I was just hit by the realization that it is less than 60 days before I leave. I got my tent last week and set it up in the backyard. It sagged. I adjusted my trekking pole height (which is what creates the structure) and it still sagged. I got in anyway, accepting that I know myself and at some point I give up and become an 80%-er. "it's good enough..." I can already hear myself on the trail.

So, the iPhone...the sales guy was right. In about two days this little gadget figured out how I type, but as others warned, the battery life sucks. I can't get Cupcake's IGo foldable keyboard to interface with the iPhone so if I choose to keep it I'll be tapping away on the glowing screen like I am doing right now.

So next on my list is preparation of boxes that I want to mail to myself, deciding what to do about water treatment/filtration, and buying what seem like gargantuan sneakers to hold what will become my sore, blistered, swollen feet.

In actuality all of this can be done in about one week. I am merely fretting over details at the moment. I have a ride to the Mexican border. I have hiked over 1500 miles carrying my backpack, and slept at over 16,000ft with a sleeping bag colder than the one I am taking. I have run 50 miles, mostly in pain. I have pulled a 12" worm out of my butt (more details on this one when I write about water on the trail) and been forced to dance for Maoist rebels at gunpoint. I survived Baltimore for almost six years and made friends while living in a project in Birmingham, UK. But the reality is that all of this pales in comparison to Jake's experience. Jake suffered a C6 spinal cord injury, and could not move for months. Jake's family has given up a lot of things to support him, care for him, and be his cheering squad through the next stage of his life.

Jake has started rehab and really loves it. Jake loves life. I can do this.

58 days to go.

"Sticky"

No comments:

Post a Comment